Thursday 4 August 2011

The Out of Office Girl

Well, we have a title. And it is ... drum roll ... The Out of Office Girl.

Needless to say, I didn't think of it: someone brilliant and rather senior at my publisher's did. When I first saw it, I blinked a bit and scratched my head - not in shock or horror, just in mild surprise. But then it grew on me. And now I love it!
I hope you love it too (and I'm sorry about not posting last Friday. Never again. Sorry, I don't mean no posting ever again, I mean, always posting again all the time. I'll be good). The story is about a girl who leaves her office to go on a work trip, so it makes sense.

The German publishers have also picked a title. It's 'Mitgehangen, Mitgefangan' which they tell us means something like 'Cling Together, Swing Together.' A more accurate (but less engaging) translation I believe is sort of, 'hang out with the bad people and get caught with them.' Which sounds good to me though I also quite like 'Cling together, swing together'.

2 comments:

  1. Reminiscent of the Ben Franklin*
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

    *he may have been quoting a play.

    Eimear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it sounds like the same family of quotations, doesn't it. I would like to point out: nobody gets hanged in my book. Not literally anyway.

    ReplyDelete