Wednesday 22 February 2012

Fish food

I love eating fish but somehow I don't have it enough. It's one of those things that seems like more hassle compared to pasta or whatever - but then when you do cook it, you remember how easy it is. I think maybe it seems difficult because you have to buy it on the day - but you can always freeze it (I would always use it within a week purely because I'm fussy).

This evening we had cod with a lemon, chili and parmesan crust. It is brain-dead easy to make. You mix the following:

100g breadcrumbs
50g parmesan
zest of a lemon
tbsp chopped coriander
pinch of chili flakes
salt and pepper
tablespoonful of olive oil or 50g melted butter

and you put it on top of your fish (we had cod, because I forgot that it was endangered, but any reasonably chunky white fish would do) Bake your fish for about 15 minutes at 180 degrees. And voila!


I really like breadcrumb crusts as they're so easy to do but they're tasty and look appealing - I did one on a pasta bake recently with thyme and parmesan, loosely inspired by this tasty recipe. You could leave out the parmesan and/or the chili and coriander, or you could add garlic or parsley - the main things are the lemon zest, breadcrumbs and some kind of fat to moisten.

Top tip: if the topping starts to brown too much, cover it with tin foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment